Visit the New Worldmapper
You are currently viewing the Worldmapper Archive. Don't miss our new website by going to the following URL: - Rediscover the world as you've never seen it before!


Search for a map:

< Previous Map

Personal Computers

Map No. 337

Open PDF poster

Next Map >

Personal computers are computers that are designed to be used by a single individual. This includes lap top and desk top computers, work and home computers. In 2002 there were almost 600 million such computers in use worldwide; that was 1 computer for every 10 people.

The most computers are found in the United States, Japan, China and Germany - these territories together are home to more than half of all computers in the world.

The 12 territories with the most computers contain 75% of all computers. This leaves 25% of computers being unevenly distributed amongst and within the remaining 188 territories.

"I enjoy using the computer as itís much easier to use than the Braille machine ..." Winnie Kajeni, 2006

Territory size shows the proportion of personal computers worldwide that are found there.

PDF poster
Open PDF poster
population map Open Population Map for comparison

| Articles | Data | FAQ | News | RSS |

Sheffield University Logo University of Michigan Logo
The Geographical Association Logo
Center for the Study of Complex Systems logo Society of Cartographers logo
The Leverhulme Trust Logo