Visit the New Worldmapper
You are currently viewing the Worldmapper Archive. Don't miss our new website by going to the following URL: - Rediscover the world as you've never seen it before!


Search for a map:

< Previous Map

Total Debt Service 2002

Map No. 356

Open PDF poster

Next Map >

Payments of debts (and the interest that is accrued) in 2002 were US$1158 billion when adjusted for purchasing power parity. This was 8.9% of the value of worldwide exports of goods and services that year.

Only 30 out of 200 territories did not have public debts to pay off. These territories were in Western Europe and North America, plus Australia, New Zealand and Zimbabwe.

Brazil paid the highest proportion of its income from exports, at 69%. Leaving only 31% to spend on services within the territory and to bring in imports from abroad. The largest total payments of debts in 2002 were by Brazil, China, Thailand and India.

"Brazilian society was built on the work, the sweat and the blood of Africans ... [Brazil] is in debt to Africa" Luis Inácio Lula da Silva, 2004

Territory size shows the proportion of all payments for public debt that were paid by that territory in 2002.

PDF poster
Open PDF poster
population map Open Population Map for comparison

| Articles | Data | FAQ | News | RSS |

Sheffield University Logo University of Michigan Logo
The Geographical Association Logo
Center for the Study of Complex Systems logo Society of Cartographers logo
The Leverhulme Trust Logo