Visit the New Worldmapper
You are currently viewing the Worldmapper Archive. Don't miss our new website by going to the following URL: - Rediscover the world as you've never seen it before!


Search for a map:

< Previous Map

Groceries Imports

Map No. 54

Open PDF poster

Next Map >

62% of all territories have net grocery imports, which means that the remaining 38% meet their demands. The map shows that net imports are, broadly speaking, to more northern latitudes. Therefore net exports tend to come from more southern latitudes: Asia Pacific and South America. There are however anomalies such as the United States, Canada and France. Further, Southern Africa has neither large net imports, nor large net exports.

The highest value of net grocery imports is to Japan. Imports to Japan are one and a half times the value of those to the second largest importer, China. Further, the population of China is ten times larger than Japan. So, per person living there, Japan imports (net) sixteen times more groceries than China.

"... to avoid devastating price hikes, Cubans rushed to stock up on pasta, canned food, cooking oil and soap yesterday after the government announced emergency measures in the face of new US sanctions ..." Anthony Boadle, 2004

Territory size shows the proportion of worldwide net imports of groceries (in US$) that are received there. Net imports are imports minus exports. When exports are larger than imports the territory is not shown.

PDF poster
Open PDF poster
population map Open Population Map for comparison

| Articles | Data | FAQ | News | RSS |

Sheffield University Logo University of Michigan Logo
The Geographical Association Logo
Center for the Study of Complex Systems logo Society of Cartographers logo
The Leverhulme Trust Logo